Saturday 23 June 2012

The Cause

Scroll down the page for older posts about my ride


I'm doing it for the
British Heart Foundation

I now know that the man who inspired me to do this ride, my old friend and colleague Finlay Mackenzie, died last year of heart disease.
Finlay Mackenzie
 Many years ago my own brother, Keith, died at the age of just 38 of undiagnosed heart problems, and I have had numerous friends and colleagues over the years who have had heart attacks - some survived, others were not so lucky.
Keith Coleran
I'm sure we all know someone who has been affected by heart problems, whether it be a heart attack, or more chronic heart disease. 
That is why I have chosen the British Heart Foundation as my charity for this cycling challenge. It is in memory of Finlay, Keith, and everyone I have known who has suffered from heart problems.

'Our vision couldn’t be much more ambitious - a world where people no longer die prematurely from heart disease.' - British Heart Foundation.


I have set a modest target of just £500 - please help me reach, or better still, pass that target. Please give as much as you can.

You can donate in person to me, I have sponsor forms, or online at:

I have chosen Virgin Money Giving as, unlike some other well known online charity giving sites, they do not make any profit for themselves out of what you donate. They do charge 2% administration costs to the charity, where others charge 10%, so more (almost all of what you give will go to the British Heart Foundation). And, if you Gift aid your donation they will get even more without costing you any extra. So, even with the 2% admin charge the BHF will get substantially more than what it will cost you.

All money that I raise will go to BHF, absolutely nothing will come out of it for my expenses.

Scroll down the page for older posts about my ride

7 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Michelle. Am really chuffed you are doing this ride and would love to meet up with you when you are on the island. Finlay was my dads best friend and we knew him as uncle fin. We stayed with him on holidays and then for a while when we moved to the island. I have shared your page on my facebook as has Fin's son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MIchelle, Thanks for getting in touch. Finlay was also 'Uncle Fin' to my two kids when they were young and on the Island. I remember he was great with kids. I will only be on the Island overnight on Monday 11th September, but it would be great to meet you and anyone else who knew Finlay. The planning is going well with only a couple of B&B's to book along the way - including the Isle of Wight (most places there don't seem to want people staying for just one night!) Anyway, I'll get there!
      Mike

      Delete
    2. You would be more than welcome to stay with me or my sister we both live in newport and would both really like to meet up with you. My email address is mlees@onwight.net you can contact me there and i will pass on my mobile number. I do a phone in on a monday at a local internet radio www.vectisradio.com and we would love to have a chat with you on the radio if you were up for it.

      Delete
  2. hi mike. my name is johnnie and im from scotland,i stay 20 miles south of glasgow.iam a very good friend of fins and was for 32years until his untimely passing.i was introduced to him at an 18th party in the club and stayed with him all the times i visited the island.he would just love what you are going to do,though i dont think you would have got him on a bike.his son knows what you are about to do and i hope he contacts you soon .remember when you reach stornaway to have a glenfiddoch and a half of beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johnnie, thanks for the comment. Finlay's son has been in touch and I hope to be able to meet him at the start of my ride. All planning going well and training hard! I will certainly have that Glenfiddoch and beer in Stornoway and toast Finlay!
      Mike

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike, its Steve Durrant. The lad you met at Garstang on his way to John O'Groats. Glad to say am back home, had a great trip part from the fact that I have lost my camra, which is a great shame which spoilt the end. Lovely to meet you and enjoy your trip when you go, hope you get the weather and I will donate online soon. Good luck and take care. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to here you got to JOG safe and sound Steve! That's a bummer about the camera though!! Thanks in advance for the donation.

    ReplyDelete